• 00000 About Me
  • 00000 Key Posts
  • 00000 My Design
  • 00000 Favorites
  • 00000 Contact
  • Line 2

Thursday, March 27, 2014

memphis may fire - or - that one time i got kicked in the face and didn't even really mind

Sorry, this is officially the longest concert post ever... 


Last Thursday me and Pat both left work early, headed to Salem to grab Tony, and then went up to Portland for the Memphis May Fire concert at The Wonder Ballroom. It was definitely one of the best shows I have been to in a while.

A few years ago we saw Memphis at a tiny little venue in Portland called Branx, I mean so Tiny that there wasn't really much of a stage, and after the show the band walked down and we were just talking to them, no big deal. Granted they weren't really that big yet, so the setting was fitting. This time they were headlining in a lineup with four other bands.

When we got to Portland we went straight down to Bunk Bar to grab beers and sandwiches for dinner. This is a newer venue, and one of the best qualities is that Bunk Bar is conveniently right below. Since we got a pretty late start we unfortunately missed the first opener while we were eating. Eventually we made our way inside and up to the balcony area to watch the rest of the opening bands.

One of the best things about being 21 at a show is having the choice between the balcony and the floor, both of which are completely different experiences. Being down on the floor is a gritty, sweaty, in your face experience, while the balcony allows you to sit back, relax, and take it all in. Both have their upsides.


a few of the opening bands
[[ hands like houses. the world alive. ]]


When Memphis came on me and Tony decided to head down to the floor for their full set, giving me the chance to finally try crowd surfing (which is on my 30 before 30 list). In a matter of minutes we had made our way to the very front of the crowd, just in time for Memphis to come on. I think within the first song I was up in the air being carried forward to the stage. Unlike any show I have EVER been to, there was NO security blockade between the front of the stage and the crowd, so when I was launched forward I actually had a chance to get on the stage with the band take it all in and then leap back in to the crowd. It was awesome! I couldn't have picked a better show to cross that goal off of my list at.

Also, since Pat was still on the balcony with all of our stuff, he actually got pictures of me! Added bonus! The only downside was the guy that came down on top of me, with his foot, in my face. By the time I popped back up I had a sweet lump of my forehead and a gash on my nose, but I didn't even care. We stayed down on the floor for the rest of the show screaming lyrics back at the stage with all of the other spectators (many of which reminded me of my high school self). Once the concert was over, and me and Tony reconnected with Pat, I got a chance to take a look at myself in the mirror... it was not pretty... but it was worth it. It's not like I haven't come away from concerts with battle wounds before, they are just usually reserved for my arms and legs (which are also bruised incidentally).

Luckily the gash wasn't that bad and stopped bleeding eventually, so I didn't need stitches or anything. Even more luckily my nose wasn't broken. Another added bonus is that my glasses, which I always wear to work, almost perfectly cover the gash and bruise on my nose, while makeup handles the rest. And no, I was not wearing said glasses at the time of the incident, they would have definitely been broken.

Alright, enough of that, time for the rest of the pictures!



memphis from pat's vantage point
[[ all the awesome pics pat took from the balcony. ]]

my crowd surfing experience
[[ me!! ]]

me & tony's vantage point
(I had to borrow a few of these)
[[ tony's pics. more pics from the floor. ]]

and of course... my battle wounds...
(and leftover makeup/not enough makeup)

[[ my ugly mug: lump/bruise on my forehead, cut on my nose, bruises all over. ]]